Atlanta, GA DUI Attorneys — Chestney Law Firm
A DUI trial lawyer is available 24/7 TO DISCUSS YOUR CASE free of charge at 404.816.8777.
Whether you were out in Atlanta with friends, at a party, or celebrating with loved ones, being arrested for a DUI can be a stressful experience -especially if you have to appear in court the very next business day. You may also have concerns about your ability to drive. Our DUI lawyers understand the anxiety you may be experiencing. We can put your mind more at ease as we explain the court and investigation process as well as how we successfully defend DUI cases. Our lawyers are available anytime during this holiday season to discuss your case – including weekends! We can also appear on your behalf in court if you have a court appearance the very next business day in Atlanta Municipal Court so you have one less thing to worry about. Just give us a call.
Some people simply can’t have a Georgia DUI conviction. The Atlanta salesperson. Johns Creek Surgeon. Athens full-time student. Lawrenceville small business owner. Or the Marietta professional driver. There are other members of our community that also must have a valid driver’s license … and a clean criminal record. At Chestney Law Firm, all we do is defend DUI charges and other serious driving offenses – and have been exclusively and effectively doing so for 24 years and counting! We represent clients across the state, from those charged with drunken driving in northern Georgia cities such as Alpharetta, Canton, Cumming, Dawsonville, Gainesville, Johns Creek, Marietta, Milton, Roswell to those arrested by the Atlanta DUI Task Force or Georgia State Patrol Nighthawks … all the way down to Peachtree City, Macon, LaGrange, and as far east as Athens to Carrollton in the west and beyond. Our clients are typically individuals that fit the description above. They come to us because we provide the absolute most vigorous defense available to those facing DUI charges in Georgia. And in the majority of cases, we are able to protect their freedom, ability to drive, and criminal record.
You may not feel at this time that you have a strong opportunity to avoid a conviction for the charges you face. But the law provides protections to you that are very important. Some examples are:
- Was the initial stop legal?
- Were the field sobriety tests properly administered?
- Was the proper advice given prior to a request for a breath test?
- Was the device used to test blood alcohol level properly calibrated and tested for accuracy within the required time prior to your arrest?
- Did medical conditions or medication contribute to the facts upon which the arrest was based?
- Is the State’s breath test or chemical test even admissible for trial?
- Can the officer legally suspend your driving privileges?
These are areas of attack that would make a seemingly indefensible case a winnable case!
Can I represent myself and avoid the expense of hiring a lawyer?
Sure you can represent yourself in your DUI case, however, there is a saying that “a person who represents himself has a fool for a client.” DUI charges are one of the most serious charges that are prosecuted in municipal court, probate court, State or Superior court. Even if you think you are guilty and may not want to fight your Georgia DUI case all the way, there are matters that a skilled DUI lawyer is better able to handle than someone representing him or herself. Here are some reasons why you may consider hiring the Chestney Law Firm rather than representing yourself:
- If you represent yourself, you can put your driving privileges in jeopardy if you simply go to court and enter a guilty plea. If you have been arrested by a DUI Task Force officer or Georgia State Patrol Nighthawk DUI Task Force trooper, you should have been served notice of an administrative license suspension action. If you enter a guilty plea without properly addressing this license suspension action, you will not be able to get a limited permit (if you are eligible to get one at all) unless the administrative action is conducted or disposed of properly.
- If your license or privilege to drive is administratively suspended for refusing the State’s chemical test from losing a license suspension hearing or failing to submit a request for a hearing within 10 business days from the date of your arrest, your Georgia driver’s license or driving privileges will be suspended for one year with NO PERMIT. Having a DUI attorney properly navigate and defend the criminal case and the administrative license suspension action can improve your chances of being able to drive and avoiding a DUI conviction.
- Other charges in addition to your DUI charge may be more serious and carry more punishment than the DUI charge such as DUI Child Endangerment or Fleeing and Attempting to Elude. If you enter a guilty plea to these other charges, your Georgia driver’s license may be put in serious jeopardy – possibly even being declared a Habitual Violator!
- Sometime the prosecutor may give a bad plea offer. Even if you decide not to contest your DUI case, an experienced DUI attorney who is familiar with the particular court your case is pending in can asses a plea offer to determine if it is worth accpeting or rejecting and take your case to trial.
- If you decide to represent yourself at trial, the Georgia Rules of Evidence still applies to you. Lawyers go to law school for years to learn these rules and you will be at the mercy of a skilled prosecutor and judge if you are not careful. You may inadvertently make incriminating statements that a prosecutor can use against you if you are not represented by an attorney.
The experienced Atlanta-based DUI attorneys at Chestney Law Firm will zealously investigate every aspect of your arrest. If there is something that provides grounds for reasonable doubt of your guilt, we will find it. And we are prepared to go as far as necessary within Georgia law to protect your rights. If you are facing serious DUI or vehicular homicide charges in Atlanta/Fulton County, Dekalb County, Cobb County, Cherokee County, Forsyth County, Gwinnett County, or anywhere in Georgia, you deserve the best defense available. Contact Chestney Law Firm today at 404.816.8777.