Atlanta, GA DUI Attorneys
Our experienced Georgia DUI trial lawyers are available 24/7, including this Thanksgiving holiday weekend, to discuss your DUI case free of charge at 404.816.8777.
If you have been arrested for a DUI in Georgia, Georgia DUI trial attorneys James “Skip” Sullivan and Bob Chestney are available to discuss your case anytime – including after-hours and weekends! We are also available over this Thanksgiving holiday. Call us at 404.816.8777
Whether you were out in Atlanta with friends and loved ones, at a party, or attending an event, being arrested for a Georgia DUI can be a stressful experience – especially if you have been summoned to appear in court in Atlanta the very next business day! You probably have many questions about penalties for a DUI, the court process, and possible defenses you may have in your case.
You may also have concerns about your driver’s license and ability to drive.
Vigorously defending DUI cases is all we do. We are available to answer your questions. We are not like other lawyers who use pressure tactics to hire them. Our DUI lawyers understand the anxiety you are experiencing. We can put your mind more at ease as we explain how we successfully defend Georgia DUI cases. We will also explain the court and investigation process where your case is pending. Our experienced DUI lawyers are available anytime to discuss your case – including weekends! We can also appear in court on your behalf if you have an initial court date the very next business day in Atlanta Municipal Court. Just give us a call at 404.816.8777.
For more detailed information about your DUI arrest in Atlanta and the Atlanta Municipal Court process, click here: Atlanta DUI arrest
Why we exclusively defend DUI cases:
Some people simply can’t have a Georgia DUI conviction. The Atlanta salesperson. Johns Creek Surgeon. Athens full-time student. Gwinnett small business owner. Or the Marietta / Cobb professional driver. There are other members of our community that also must have a valid driver’s license … and a clean criminal record. At Chestney & Sullivan, all we do is defend DUI charges and other serious driving offenses – and have been exclusively and effectively doing so for 25 years and counting! We represent clients across the state, from those charged with drunken driving in northern Georgia cities such as Alpharetta, Canton, Cumming, Dawsonville, Decatur, Gainesville, Johns Creek, Marietta, Milton, Roswell to those arrested by the Atlanta DUI Task Force or Georgia State Patrol Nighthawks … all the way down to Peachtree City, Macon, LaGrange, and as far east as Athens to Carrollton in west Georgia and beyond. Our clients are typically individuals that fit the description above. They come to us because we provide the absolute most vigorous defense available to those facing DUI charges in Georgia. And in the majority of cases, we are able to protect their freedom, ability to drive, and their criminal record.
You may not feel at this time that you have a strong opportunity to avoid a conviction for the charges you face. But the law provides protections to you that are very important. Some examples are:
- Was the initial stop legal?
- Were the field sobriety tests properly administered?
- Was the proper advice given prior to a request for a breath test?
- Was the device used to test blood alcohol level properly calibrated and tested for accuracy within the required time prior to your arrest?
- Did medical conditions or medication contribute to the facts upon which the arrest was based?
- Is the State’s breath test or chemical test even admissible for trial?
- Can the officer legally suspend your driving privileges?
- Has the prosecution violated your right to a speedy trial?
These are only some of the strategies that would make a seemingly indefensible case a winnable case! All of our experienced DUI lawyers have dedicated themselves to providing the best DUI defense possible.
Can I represent myself and avoid the expense of hiring an experienced Georgia DUI lawyer?
Sure you can represent yourself in your DUI case, however, there is a saying that “a person who represents himself has a fool for a client.” Driving under the influence charges are one of the most serious charges that are prosecuted in municipal court, probate court, state or superior court. Even if you think you are guilty and may not want to fight your Georgia DUI case all the way, there are matters that a skilled DUI lawyer is better able to handle than someone representing him or herself. Here are some reasons why you may consider hiring the Chestney & Sullivan rather than representing yourself:
- If you represent yourself, you can put your driving privileges in jeopardy if you simply go to court and enter a guilty plea. If you have been arrested by a DUI Task Force officer or Georgia State Patrol Nighthawk DUI Task Force Trooper, you should have been served notice of an administrative license suspension action. If you enter a guilty plea without properly addressing this license suspension action, you will not be able to get a limited permit (if you are eligible to get one at all) unless the suspension action is conducted effectively or disposed of properly.
- If your license or privilege to drive is administratively suspended for refusing the State’s chemical test from either losing a license suspension hearing or failing to submit a request for a hearing within 10 business days from the date of your arrest, your Georgia driver’s license or driving privileges will be suspended for one year with NO PERMIT. Having our experienced Georgia DUI attorneys properly navigate and defend the criminal case and the administrative license suspension action can improve your chances of being able to drive and avoiding a Georgia DUI conviction.
- Other charges in addition to your Ga DUI charge may be more serious and carry more punishment than the DUI charge such as DUI Child Endangerment or Fleeing and Attempting to Elude. If you enter a guilty plea to these other charges, your Georgia driver’s license may be put in serious jeopardy – possibly even being declared a Habitual Violator!
- Sometime the prosecutor may give a bad plea offer. Even if you decide not to contest your DUI case, our experienced DUI attorneys who are familiar with the particular court your case is pending in can assess a plea offer to determine if it is worth accpeting or rejecting and take your case to trial.
- If you decide to represent yourself at trial, the Georgia Rules of Evidence still applies to you. Lawyers go to law school for years to learn these rules and you will also be at the mercy of a skilled prosecutor and judge if you are not careful. You may inadvertently make incriminating statements that a prosecutor can use against you if you are not represented by an experienced DUI attorney.
The experienced Atlanta-based DUI attorneys at Chestney & Sullivan will zealously investigate and defend every aspect of your arrest. If there is something that provides grounds for reasonable doubt of your guilt, we will find it. And we are prepared to go as far as necessary within Georgia law to protect your rights. If you are facing serious DUI or vehicular homicide charges in Atlanta/Fulton County, DeKalb County, Cobb County, Cherokee County, Forsyth County, Gwinnett County, or anywhere in Georgia, you deserve the best defense available. Contact Chestney & Sullivan today at 404.816.8777.